Button Elf Dolls by Laura D’Angelico
These little guys are not only cute as a button they are also really quite easy to make.
What you will need:
* indicates item may be available at SAS Fabrics Superstore
1. a pretty good collection of 1/4″ – 1/2″ diameter buttons* (maybe 40-50 per doll).
2. small piece of fabric*. One 12 inch square piece of fabric is plenty.
3. Strong thread* and a needle*. Make sure the needle will fit through the button holes.
4. a small foam ball for each doll head. I used 2 inch diameter. Dollar Store or Hobby Lobby & similar stores
5. beans and a small amount of soft material to fill the body and booties of the doll.
6. paint to create the facial features.
7. 3 small jingle bells*.
For the booties simply cut fabric in the shape of a bootie and stitch all around except the top where the leg goes in. Set aside.
Next separate your buttons to create two legs of equal length. I matched the buttons so that the legs matched in size & length. Repeat the process for the arms. The arms should be shorter than the legs much like those on us humans.
Thread the buttons using a needle and thread. Use a strong thread, ribbon, wire or fishing line and thread through from top of leg to the bottom and back up to the top so that at the bottom of the leg you do not have any ties or thread ends. Just as you would sew a button onto a shirt. Tie the thread at the top of the leg so the buttons cannot come apart.
Repeat the process for the arms.
Next make the hat. Simply cut a piece of fabric big enough to fit on the Styrofoam head. Don’t forget to add for the stitch allowance. The fabric will be pie shaped just like a Santa hat. Sew the fabric to create the hat.
Cut a rectangular piece of fabric for the body. It should be about 3.5 inches by +/- 6 inches long. Fold in half so the finished sides are not visible. The finished faces will be face to face and you will sew it inside out so it is about 3.5 by half of the longer side. Sew the longest side and most of one shorter sides. Turn it right side out and sew on the legs so that none of the loose threads are exposed. Fill the body 3/4 full with beans and the rest with soft material and/or scrap fabric. When you sew it closed sew in the arms so they are well attached.
sew except where dashed
Next you will paint a face on the Styrofoam head. When it is dry you will glue on the hat. Then attach the head to the body and if you wish throw a scarf on around the neck. Sew on the booties and finish it off with a little bell sewn on the tip of each bootie and the tip top of the hat.
Elf Button Doll 1
Elf Button Dolls